HOLLYGOSSIP

Monday, November 15, 2010

Christian Bale gets angry and weird about his career





Ever since tapes leaked from Christian Bale's raging rant on the set of 'Terminator Salvation,' the public learned that the real-life Batman is a very, very angry fellow. In a Q&A for Esquire's December issue, Bale is the gift that keeps on giving, as he rips into acting and expresses how he loves it when people criticize him.

Bale says he's got a huge ego, yet seems to hate himself, then comes off like Mr. Family Man. And oh yeah, he's a big Chris Farley fan. Go figure.

On his acting career: "Well, it's also just I'm bored s***less with myself."

On being famous: "Well, it's embarrassing to be a star. Most people look at you like, 'That's not a f---ing job, is it?' And then on top of that, you learn very quickly that you're just a tool -- other people are manipulating everything you do, you're at the mercy of editors, and there's nothing you can do. But I learned that there's a certain character that can be built from embarrassing yourself endlessly. If you can sit happy with embarrassment, there's not much else that can really get to ya.

On his critics: "I do love people ripping the s--t out of me. I don't know what that's about, but I love it. The more crap you give me, the happier I get."





On journalists judging his movies: "I've enjoyed interviews so much when the writer has said to me, 'You know what? Not my thing. Didn't like it too much.' I find that endlessly entertaining."



More on acting: "I have a very sissy job, where I go to work and get my hair done, and people do my makeup, and I go and say lines and people spoil me rotten. And everyone has that kind of curiosity of how far can you go, how far can you take it. I think it's always good testing yourself. With various things that could be incredibly unimpressive to other people, but there's some meaning to it within yourself -- and also stupid, which many people called me during that time [laughs]."



On his lack of interest in movies: "You're not talking to a cinema-phile."
On one of his favorite actors: "Chris Farley was just phenomenal. 'Beverly Hills Ninja' will always remain one of my tops."



On the kind of characters he likes to play: "Great movie stars, that's what they do provide. Steve McQueen, you wanna f---ing be Steve McQueen. What cooler f---ing guy in the world than that? I can't do that. I don't believe in myself enough to do that. I've always thought, if I was in a band, I'd never want to be the lead singer."



On hiding his real identity: "Look, I've got incredible pride for my family. I've absolutely fallen into that cliché of a dad who could just happily talk about my daughter endlessly. But it's not what I'm about in terms of being an actor. I don't want people to know about that."



On what people say about him: "I don't care. Being misunderstood is not a bad thing as an actor. I know the truth."



No comments: